Can you believe that this was made up of tofu?
This cheesecake is low in calories compared to the conventional ones. The cheese layer was mainly made up of cream cheese, tofu and yogurt. No heavy cream was added.
In fact, I actually made it using natural sweetener called Stevia! I will talk to you guys about it very soon as it is my ongoing project I have been working on. Meanwhile, let’s head back to this recipe. ^^
It is great for vegetarians too as I had used agar agar powder instead of gelatin. It is light and refreshing, yet somehow creamy. I really love this dessert especially after a heavy meal or dinner. It makes a great light cheesecake for night guest too!
- (8 oz.) 250 grams of digestive biscuit
- (1/4 cup) 60 grams of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- (1 cup) 250 grams of cream cheese, room temp
- (1 cup) 250 grams of natural greek yogurt, room temp
- (7.5 oz.) 200 grams of firm tofu (Tau Kwa)
- (3/4 cup) 185 grams of fine white sugar
- (1/4 cup) 65 ml of milk
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- (1/2 cup) 125 ml of water
- 2 tsp. of agar agar powder
- 8 strawberries, sliced if desired
- 1 1/2 tsp. of agar agar powder
- (7 oz.) 200 grams of strawberry, sliced
- (1 1/2 cup) 375ml of water
- (1/3 cup) 80 grams of sugar
- Blitz digestive biscuit, softened butter and salt together. If crushing in the ziplock bag, melt butter instead.
- Transfer into a 8.5 inch spring form pan lined with parchment paper.
- Use the back of something flat and press firmly. You may use your hands to press down too.
- Set aside in the fridge while you make your cheesecake.
- Make sure that everything is in room temperature so that the agar agar can be well mix into it later.
- In your food processor, blend greek yogurt, Tau Kwa, cream cheese, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and lemon juice until smooth. Leave it inside while you dissolve your agar agar.
- In your saucepan, dissolve agar agar powder with water. Bring it to a rolling boil and let it boil for about a minute. Shut off the heat and immediately drizzle in the mixture into your food processor while it is on.
- Quickly transfer the cheese mixture into your springform pan. Spread evenly.
- You may add some sliced strawberries if desired, just make sure to carefully top onto the cheesecake. Transfer back into the fridge for an hour while you make your strawberry jelly.
- To make strawberry jelly,
- In a saucepan, bring sliced strawberry, agar agar powder, water and sugar to a boil while whisking. Once it stared to boil, bring the heat down to medium-low and whisk for another 2 to 3 minutes. You want to make sure to mash the softened strawberries as you whisk to extract all the flavors.
- Strain the jelly mixture and let it cool on the countertop just until lukewarm temperature as agar agar sets around room temperature.
- Slowly pour on top of the cooled cheesecake layer and immediately let it cool completely in the fridge.
- Best serve chilled.
- - Make sure that everything is in room temperature so that the agar agar can be well mix into it later.
- - To cut back on calories, you may substitute digestive biscuit with other alternatives.