This simple yet silky dish is commonly eaten throughout most chinese households with rice.
Yet, not all households can make this smooth and creamy silky savory custard.
What’s my secret?
Soy milk, unsweetened. Why? I don’t know, my Aunt told me this and I do as I told. No questions asked.
The result is important! Not only it is smooth and creamy, soy milk also adds richness to the flavor. It’s like heavy cream in western dishes!
Chinese Steamed Egg (蒸水蛋)
Make one 8-inch round custard
- 7 eggs
- (1 cup) 250 ml of vegetable stock
- (1 1/2 cup) 375 ml of unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tsp. of light soy sauce
- ½ tsp. of sesame oil
- Chives and sliced large chili to garnish
- Preheat steamer while you make your custard
- Whisk in all the ingredients into a large measuring jar.
- Transfer the egg mixture into an 8 inch round pan through a sieve.
- Steam it for about 20 minutes until firm to touch.
- You may garnish with some chives and sliced large chili. Serve this delicious savory custard with rice.
Just classic Egg Mayo Sandwich….But slightly healthier. Cut back some of the calories and saturated fats. Yet, still flavorful and creamy.
Switch half yogurt instead of mayonnaise. To make it even healthier, you also may omit egg yolks. However, I am not going to omit it as I love the rich flavor
Healthier Egg Mayo Sandwich
A classic low-fat yummy Egg Mayo Sandwich
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp. of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. of fat-free natural yogurt
- Good amount of pepper
- Salt season to taste
- Bring a pot of water with eggs to a boil and let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Immediately, drain of excess water and transfer boiled eggs into to a bowl of ice water for a minute to cool down.
- Crack and remove the shells.
- In a bowl, mash boiled eggs with a fork. Then, mix in your mayonnaise and yogurt. Season with pepper and salt.
- Remove the crust of the bread. (Optional)
- Spread a thin layer of soften butter onto the bread
- Then, add a good spoonful or two of egg mayo.
- You may want to add cheese.