Mooncake (月饼) is often consumed during Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋节), with the full moon on the night of a 15th day of the 8th lunar month, as well as the traditions of moon gazing.
Video instruction for salted egg yolk in mooncake:
Traditional Mooncakes (月饼)
50 grams mooncake mould
Write a review
For the dough
- 100g of plain flour
- 4ml of alkaline water
- 70g of golden syrup
- 25ml of vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp of vanilla extract
- 430g lotus paste or any paste that you like
- (I'm using lotus and red bean)
- 1 egg and 1 tbsp water
- In a bowl, add golden syrup, alkaline water, and vanilla extract, stir to well combine. Add in oil, mix well.
- Add in plain flour, mix with a spatula to form a soft dough. Gently knead the dough using a spatula till smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Wrap with cling wrap and leave to rest for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160CFan-forced.
- Dust the dough with some flour. Give the dough a few light kneading to smooth it.
- Divide dough into 15g pieces. Shape each dough into a ball.
- Divide the filling paste into 35g pieces. Shape each dough into a ball.
- Roll each dough over some flour. Dust hand with flour and flatten each dough into a small disc. Wrap it around the filling and shape it into a ball. Dust hand with some flour to avoid the dough from sticking.
- Lightly dust the wrapped dough with some flour. Place it in the mooncake mould and press the mooncake out. Place mooncake on a baking tray line with parchment paper.
- Spray some water on the mooncakes. This will help to prevent the mooncakes from cracking during baking.
- Bake it for 10mins. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 25 minutes. This is to prevent the filling to expand so that the crust will not crack.
- Brush the top with some egg wash. Return to oven and continue to bake for another 12 - 15mins until golden brown.
- Leave the mooncake to cool completely and store in air tight containers. Wait for a day for the mooncakes' skin to soften before serving.
If you want to add egg yolks in it
- You need to divide the egg yolks and white and steam the yolks for 5 minutes then cool.
- Reduce the amount of filling paste. Both paste and yolk add up to 35 grams. (For mini mooncake, I suggest you to half the yolk for each cake after you cooked)
- Flatten the round paste, in the center add one egg yolk. Roll into ball.
- Follow the rest of the steps in the video.
- Makes 12-13 mini mooncakes (50 grams mould)