Last week, I shared my experience at Lapis Lapis in Jakarta with my good friend, Titan. If you haven’t seen the video make sure to check it out here!
So for today, I am sharing my take on Lapis Surabaya. I got this recipe from my mum’s old notebook and made some modifications to suit the size of my pan. As I don’t fancy making a whole cake because I can’t finish, I made my Kueh Lapis in a loaf pan instead. If you want to make a large 7-inch square cake, just double the recipe will do.
Additionally, if you have noticed, I’m not in my own kitchen! I shot this recipe in IMPIXEL kitchen studio. Make sure to check out my video recipe on Youtube and tell me about my new shooting style. I certainly do feel nervous speaking in front of the camera while baking. But I really want to share my tips and trick and connect with all of you so I hope you guys will enjoy my new format.
- 10 Egg Yolks
- 125 grams of Fine Sugar
- 50 grams of Plain Flour
- 125 grams of Salted Butter
- 2 tsp. of Milk Powder
- 1 tsp. of Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp. of Cocoa Powder
- 2 tbsp. of Strawberry Jam
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Beat butter for 10 minutes on high speed until pale and fluffy.
- Set aside and beat egg yolks and sugar in another bowl for 10 minutes on high speed.
- Lower your mixer speed and stir in plain flour and milk powder.
- Drizzle in vanilla extract.
- Next, fold in butter.
- In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder and a tablespoon of water until well.
- Separate the mixture into 3 and stir in cocoa powder mixture with one of the bowl.
- Transfer each mixture into a loaf (7.9" x 4.3") lined with parchment paper.
- Bake it in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Let it cool completely and layer them by spreading some strawberry jam in each layer.
- Trim the edges and serve!
- Add orange zest or spice to change things up a little.